Sunday, February 6, 2011

#22 It's Burlesque

Bon jour!

Caught a couple of movies recently, namely Burlesque, Departures, Jesus Camp and Homecoming. Currently watching Entre Les Murs. And I want to watch Freakonomics, The Roommate, Born into Brothels, Five People You Meet in Heaven..

Amongst the movies I've watched, I actually enjoyed Departures the most. It's a beautifully shot melodrama! Ha, it's really easy to differentiate Japanese productions! Hmm, really love the out of the norm storyline and how you can read the protagonist even without him speaking much :) Well, and the movie does really portray how fine the line is between life and death.

Burlesque was different and pretty good too. I cannot imagine how much it'd have cost to produce that movie though.. love the songs, the musical, the acceptance! Homecoming was just okay, and funny.

Jesus Camp was something I watched to broaden my intellectual perspectives. Haha, it's about how religion and politics shouldn't intertwine and how some of these summer evangelistic camps for kids "brainwash" these kids. It was something that really got me thinking even though I watched it at midnight.

I read the reviews before watching the documentary so I was certain that no matter what's gonna be shown, it is not gonna change my mind about my faith. Actually, it wasn't too bad but I just felt that maybe kids are too young to engage too much spiritually. Becky Fischer said in the film that kids are more or less what they r when they are between the ages of 7 to 9. Of cos the faith might carry through, but I think coming from my point of view - converting at the age of 11, I feel that being a Christian as a kid and being a Christian as a teenager and probably adult (not there yet anws) are different. When we're young, things are so much easier and whatever the adults tell us, we'll just absorb them like a sponge. But as we grow up, things are different. Though I suppose God is real and if I were to have kids in future, I'd love them to believe in the same God that I believe in.. but I think they need to go through the whole "seeking" and realizing that God is true and real themselves. The kids are indeed a powerful and important generation.. but I'm just wondering if teaching them what to do and what not to do is the best way to raise them up?

The worst part of the film was when Levi's mother told him that Global Warming is just a political scam because the temperatures in America has only gone up by 0.6 degree celcius over the past decade.. and Levi said "that doesn't matter" I guess Becky Fischer's just a tad too radical..

Okay but wonderful food for thought :)

And Chinese New Year's been alright so far! During one of the visitations, I found out from my vice-principal uncle that his school is under TIP so I could possibly intern after A's and his wife, my aunty is a professor at NIE. So eggciting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home