Friday, February 25, 2011

Fridays

Are days to catch up on the news by reading the accumulated week's worth of newspapers. This week's made my jaws opened so wide that they're now sore. Libya's protests, Christchurch's earthquake & the crazy amt of aftershocks and of cos our very own GE 2011 which is plagued with lots of controversy over gerrymandering which I think to a large extent could possibly be true.

What I find the most unfair for opposition parties is that the ruling party sets and releases the electoral boundaries right before the polls (granted at most three months) the opposition parties are unable to garner support from the so-called new SMCs and GRCs they're contesting for over the short period of time. Even if they were to rally for support, it would be tough because people would be skeptical about it. The ruling party, on the other hand, has EVERYTHING to gain because they are in dominance. And if I don't vote for the opposition - my vote goes over to the ruling party naturally. Especially the country is literally built under their ruling. Just my two cents worth.

While I'm still trying to read up on Libya's mess, though I suppose it's largely related to the Jasmine Revolution of Tunisia.. I think the whole thing's been really blown up beyond it's scale and I sure hope there wouldn't be a China version of the JR though I suppose the odds are really slim. And keeping the people of the 10 nations undergoing major protests of some sorts in the Middle East in mighty prayers, hoping govt intervention would bring down hyperinflation and make living more affordable for them.

Christchurch's 6.3 magnitude earthquake has death tolls beyond my expectations and hence called for me to do a little bit of research on how this 6.3 magnitude earthquake could damage a DC to such a big extent. Turns out that this 6.3 magnitude earthquake is an aftershock of the 7+ magnitude earthquake that shook Christchurch just five months back. I suppose the foundations of the infrastructures were shaken and haven't had sufficient time to be repaired/maintained just yet. Adding onto that, the epicenter this time round was much nearer to the ground, hence the greater impact. And following the 6.3 magnitude earthquake, a further of 141 aftershocks occurred. No wonder the death tolls just keep on increasing.

I think the news is fascinating but it would suck for me to know what I'm reading is a whole chunk of news that had been censored and double checked.

Anyhows last week I watched Waiting for Superman. It was dang good. I cried so much just watching the kids and I never knew how much education system in the States is linked to your socioeconomic standing.. much more to come, but for now my eye lids are feeling heavy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home